Recently, Melani and Jilly joined me in Ottawa for a working weekend. It was one of those weekends where we were a little short on cash, but it’s a small and family-oriented town, and we were staying in a downtown hotel half a block from Parliament Hill. Here, in Melani’s words, is a tiny guide to having a blast in our nation’s capital on less than $10.
How to have fun in Ottawa when you’re three and Mommy is beyond broke
- Watch the changing of the guard at the war memorial.
- Check out the “castles,” statues, 3D map, people, canal, things to climb on and pedestrian tunnel between your hotel and the bookstore.
- Spend Mommy’s bookstore gift card. Then have a tantrum because she won’t buy you a scooter.
- Scream all the way to the market.
- Stop screaming and have a photo op on the nice policeman’s motorcycle.
- Go to McDonalds for the food that would have prevented the tantrum in the first place.
- Start walking back to the hotel taking pretend pictures with a cardboard camera. Greet EVERYONE.
- Sneak into the biggest castle through the spinny door and peek in the ballrooms.
- Find a bowl of candy and take one.
- Climb on more things.
- Meet a man with parrots and have a complete stranger pay him so you can have your picture taken.
- Discover a reflective wall.
- Climb on even MORE things.
- Meet a nice lady who’s staying in your “hotowel” and strike up a conversation. Find out she’s there for the same reason you are.
- Play with all your loot.
- Go swimming.